Friday, March 9, 2018

Greetings from AZ, Where the Air Conditioning Is More Important Than the Pitching Depth


In a million, bajillion years I never thought I would be a baseball writer, much less asked to be a baseball writer. But, when the Greatest Living American Writer asks you to serve, you report to duty without any regard to potential charges of collusion or election tampering. Perhaps I am chasing a tangent. Regardless, my sense of commitment to the national past time beckons.

My appreciation of the game reached its zenith in my 13th year of age, as a scrappy, gangly, defense-oriented first baseman with mad slap hitting skillz and a more than decent baseball card collection. My knowledge of the meaning of stats began and ended with whatever was on the non-glossy sides of those rectangular slivers of glory. Understanding not only what ERA stood for but how to actually calculate it felt like I moved from Algebra 1 to pre-calculus, skipping right past that geometry nonsense.

National Geographic
I grew up a Kansas City Royals fan. That was based in the fact that I was born in Kansas City, lived there for a hot minute and my entire lineage was rooted there. That allegiance was nailed into place by my being 7 in 1977, right as the Royals were peaking as one of the three best teams in the world for the next eight years, led by the greatest GQ manly man of them all, George Brett. Brett was the king of the 80’s, flirting with .400, smearing pine tar, joking with Letterman and hauling in trophy over trophy like it was no big deal. Dude was The Boss, screw Steinbrenner.

I also loved to go to Royals Stadium when I visited my relatives in the summer (I became a full-time Arizonan in ‘72, not including a 7-year dalliance with the entertainment industry in LA in the 90’s). The sea of bright green artificial turf and the majestic array of fountains behind the wall in right center field dazzled me while those coked-out men in whiter-than-coke uniforms filled the time between inning breaks. I could not have been more prepared for what Jerry Colangelo and the Arizona Diamondbacks would bestow upon my non-traditionalist baseball sensibilities in 1998.

Look, baseball can be the most zen distraction in the world, defensive players shifting and gliding in their prime field placements, the dance between pitcher and catcher, the movement of hitter and baserunners on a square that operates in a mutually exclusive syncopation with the rest of the yard that is never the same between two home fields. Whatever, I need to know that I can get a beer and a dog and air conditioning for 2-plus hours. I’m a Diamondbacks fan. Sure, we’ve had the fortune of a world championship and multiple playoff runs, but we have seen the cellar more than once, too. For every Randy Johnson or Paul Goldschmidt we’ve endured an Russ Ortiz or Shea Hillenbrand. Through it all we get to sit in a warehouse converted into baseball stadium that truly is optimized each offseason when the monster truck rally comes to town.

If you’re looking for keen insights on how to best build your fantasy baseball team from a Diamondbacks angle or why Mark Grace can’t seem get Yasmany Tomas’ swing in order, I am not your man. But I can’t wait to tell you how the new Bahn Mi sandwich tastes!

Jason Franz
Desert Dweller

No comments:

Post a Comment